This page has moved to a new address.

One Year in Panama

In the "Cult of Escapism": One Year in Panama

Friday, August 19, 2011

One Year in Panama

After a year in Panama, I haven’t contracted any fatal illnesses, lost any limbs or degenerated into a crazed, bearded, drooling lunatic. So overall, I think it’s been a success. But I've thought a lot about August 2010 Jack compared to August 2011 Jack and came up with the following extremely scientific chart:


Jack August 2010
Jack August 2011
Name
Jack Fischl
Jochi
Live with the Indigenous
No
Yes
Speak Spanish
No
Si
Know what a Ngäbe Is
A what now?
The largest indigenous group in Panama
Know how to pronounce Ngäbe
Na-go-bee?
Naw-bey
Poop in a Hole
No
Yes
Sweat Enough to Flood the Panama Canal
That’s gross
Every day
Am a Hiking Machine
No
Sarah Connor..?
Patience of…
A four year old
Mother Theresa on Valium
Bats killed
0
At least 4, including two by hand
Intestinal viruses
Never
Excuse me, I need to go throw up
Electricity
Always
No
Will Save the World
Definitely
Hahahahaha…hahaha..haha
Have Sexual Relations with Females
Yes
What relations? Who?
Pounds of Rice Consumed in the Past Year
Who cares?
947,000
Sleep on a Queen Sized, Pillow-Top Mattress
Yes
Now you’re just making fun of me

So there have been a few changes. But I’m glad I’m here and look forward to the famous “SECOND YEAR,” when apparently most meaningful work is accomplished and everything is spelled in capital letters.

And as the saying goes, that which doesn’t kill me makes me wish I could take hot showers. 

Some pictures from the past year:
Adam jumps over me during training (September 2010)

Second host family house (December 2010)
A traditional Ngobe house in the mountains (March 2011)


Volunteers in indigenous garb during a seminar (June 2011)

1 Comments:

At August 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Ila said...

august 2010: hanging out with ila while also dreaming about her
august 2011: just the dreams but it's night and day

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home